Guys, this vegan corn and potato chowder recipe is so easy. Like, stupidly easy. It takes about 20 minutes to make, and it’s a total crowd-pleaser.
What I love about this vegan corn and potato chowder is that it’s truly a one-pot meal. Just dice the potatoes and toss them into the pot with the broth and beans. While those start cooking, prep your broccoli and measure the rest of your ingredients.
By the time the potato timer beeps, you’re ready to add round two of veggies, and six minutes later, soup is on. Boom! Pow!
Along with my favorite weeknight soup recipe, I’m sharing my favorite soupy secret. Instead of topping with croutons, I like to stir a handful of roasted, unsalted cashews into this creamy soup.
It gives you that same crunch as a crouton, but it’s way more decadent. The cashews take this chowder from a side dish to a main event.
My version of vegan corn and potato chowder is on the brothy side without the optional nutritional yeast, and you can definitely serve it up that way.
If you like a thicker chowder, definitely add the recommended nutritional yeast. The nooch will thicken things up instantly. You can even add a bit extra, if you’re so inclined.
This is a super flexible recipe that you can really mix up however you like. Sometimes I make it with kale instead of broccoli, for example. Sometimes, I spice it up with 1/2 teaspoon each of dried sage and thyme in step 1.
You can also use 1″ pieces of carrot instead of shredded or substitute chopped celery for some of the carrots.
Think of the recipe below as a jumping-off point, and mix and match, depending on what’s in your produce drawer and spice cabinet!
Vegan Corn and Potato Chowder
- 2 cups vegetable or no-chicken broth
- 1 medium yellow potato cut into 1" cubes
- 1 15 ounce can navy beans drained (or 1 3/4 cups cooked beans)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 heads broccoli chopped into florets (Peel and chop the stalks, too, why not!)
- 2 cups unsweetened vegan milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast (optional, for a thicker soup)
- roasted, unsalted cashews
- hot sauce
- In a soup pot, combine the broth, potato, and beans. Cover and heat on medium-high for 10 minutes.
- Add the carrots, corn, and broccoli. Cover, and cook for 6 more minutes, still on medium-high, then turn off the heat, and stir in the soy milk. If you’re using the nutritional yeast, also stir that in now, until it’s dissolved.
- Dish up your bowls of soup, and top each one with a handful of cashews and a squeeze of hot sauce (if you’re using).