Sweet-and-sticky baked BBQ tofu is perfect parked next to your favorite green veggie on top of a bed of fluffy mashed potatoes.
Guys, I’m taking a break from air frying all of the food to share the Baked BBQ Tofu recipe that I developed for my partners at EZ Tofu Press. I love working with this company, and their press does an awesome job of pressing the excess water out of your tofu quickly and evenly. Getting the water out makes your tofu more firm and more able to take up the sauces or marinades you are using.
This recipe is one of Darrol’s and my favorite ways to make tofu. It’s twice-baked, making it toothsome and chewy, and it’s covered in sweet, sticky BBQ sauce. There are lots of ways you can serve this up, and here are some suggestions for you!
- over mashed potatoes with a side of steamed broccoli, as shown
- over mashed cauliflower with a side of Ginger-Sesame Kale
- over rice and beans (or just rice) with Frizzled Green Beans Almondine on the side
…You get the idea. Choose a starch, choose a veg, and pile it all onto a plate together.
You can use any BBQ sauce that you like to make your baked BBQ tofu. Choose your favorite sauce from a jar, make my homemade BBQ sauce – this recipe is super versatile!
About the EZ Tofu Press
Pressing your tofu is mission critical in this recipe. Pressing out the excess water gives your tofu that dense, chewy mouthfeel that you’re looking for, and the EZ Tofu Press does a really great job pressing tofu quickly and evenly.
Last year, I shot a little promotional video with the EZ Tofu Press folks, and they released it late last month. It shows you how to press your tofu and how much water you’re getting out of the block by pressing.
The BBQ tofu recipe below is actually the one you see shots of in the video. There are also some shots of Crispy Salt and Pepper Tofu, and I’m going to be sharing that recipe with you guys later on this month.
Got your tofu all pressed and ready to go? Let’s bake some tofu! Twice!
Twice Baked BBQ Tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and cut into 1" cubes
- oil - optional, for greasing the baking sheet
- 1 1/2 cups vegan BBQ sauce - plus extra for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Arrange the tofu on a greased baking sheet or one lined with a Silpat. Brush with a few tablespoons of BBQ sauce, then bake for 20 minutes. Set aside, and don’t turn off the oven yet.
- Pour 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce into the bottom of an 8×8? glass baking pan, and shake the pan to spread the sauce out evenly. Arrange the baked tofu cubes on top, then top off with the rest of the sauce, shaking again to distribute the sauce.
- Stick the uncovered pan of tofu and BBQ sauce into the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.