I’ve been making this crunchy, creamy Vegan Broccoli Slaw once a week lately. It couldn’t be simpler, and it’s such a crowd-pleaser!
Y’all, my family has a new, favorite quickie meal: fishless or crabless tacos with Vegan Broccoli Slaw on the side. The tacos are probably the laziest thing I make right now:
- Air fry Gardein Fishless Filets or Crabless Cakes. (Not a sponsor, but get at me, Gardein!)
- Pile them into your favorite kind of tortillas with sliced avocado and a little bit of hot sauce.
- Serve with a side of Vegan Broccoli Slaw. Or spoon the slaw into your taco! You do you.
It’s no health food meal, but it is freaking delicious! The slaw takes under 10 minutes to make, so you can whip it up while the Gardein stuff cooks in the air fryer. It’s perfect for an evening when Dave gets home late, and I’m tired from working/chasing a preschooler.
Of course, you don’t have to make my new favorite lazy taco to enjoy this Vegan Broccoli Slaw! It’s also great:
- With sandwiches!
- Stuffed into wraps!
- At cookouts!
- At picnics!
Pretty much any time you’d reach for traditional cabbage slaw, you can serve this beautiful broccoli slaw instead. It’s seriously versatile. And delicious!
Making the Vegan Broccoli Slaw
The trick to making this broccoli slaw awesome is in prepping the veggies. It’s not hard to prep them properly, but you do need to take your time.
You don’t want huge chunks of broccoli or cabbage in this slaw. You’re going to mince up that broccoli into pieces that average the size of a pea. And you want to shred the cabbage and chop the green onion into bite-sized pieces.
This recipe is all about texture, and the veggies are a bit part of that.
Speaking of texture! The next thing you add to the bowl is a healthy helping of sunflower seeds. Sunflower seeds bring a lovely crunch to this salad that even holds up the next day.
I kept the dressing super simple — a creamy mix of vegan mayo and yellow mustard. This is the dressing that my mother-in-law uses for her potato salad, and it’s deliciously simply. You are going to love it.
Toss everything into your bowl, and chill until you’re ready to eat! This slaw will keep for two to three days in the fridge, though the sunflower seeds will soften as time passes. If you’re prepping this ahead, I’d add the seeds just before serving for maximum crunch.
Easy Vegan Broccoli Slaw
- 1 cup minced broccoli
- 1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage – You can use green cabbage, if you can’t find purple. You can also use shredded kale, if cabbage isn’t your thing!
- 1 green onion – chopped
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds – optional. You can also use other nuts or seeds, like sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Toss everything together in a large bowl. Chill until you’re ready to serve.