Sticky-sweet Twice-Baked BBQ Tofu is perfect parked next to your favorite green veggie on top of a bed of fluffy mashed potatoes.
If you love sweet, sticky, toothsome barbecue but don't like standing over the grill or stove, this recipe is for you!
Making Baked BBQ Tofu
This recipe is one of my family's favorite ways to make tofu. It's twice-baked, making it toothsome and chewy, and it's covered in sweet, sticky BBQ sauce.
You may be wondering why you have to bake this twice, and I totally get it. Two rounds of baking is more work, but it pays off in both flavor and texture.
During the first round of baking, you lightly coat the tofu in BBQ sauce, and bake on a cookie sheet to infuse it with flavor and firm it up.
For round two, you transfer the tofu to a glass baking pan, smother it in even more sauce, and bake again for super firm, sticky, addictive barbecue tofu!
Choosing BBQ Sauce for Your Tofu
You can use any BBQ sauce that you like to make Twice-Baked BBQ Tofu. Choose your favorite sauce from a jar or make my healthy BBQ sauce -- this recipe is super versatile!
The one thing to keep in mind when choosing your sauce is that not all BBQ sauce is vegan. Here are the animal ingredients to keep an eye out for when you are shopping for BBQ sauces:
- meat or meat stock
Store brand BBQ sauces are often vegan, but you should still give those ingredients a once-over.
About the EZ Tofu Press
Pressing your tofu is mission critical in this recipe. Pressing out the excess water helps give your tofu that dense, chewy mouthfeel that you're looking for, and the EZ Tofu Press does a really great job of pressing tofu quickly and evenly.
Back in 2016, I shot a little promotional video with the EZ Tofu Press folks. It shows you how to press your tofu and how much water you're getting out of the block by pressing.
The BBQ tofu recipe below is actually the one you see shots of in the video. There are also some shots of my Crispy Salt and Pepper Tofu, which I highly recommend you make ASAP!
More Barbecue Tofu Recipes
Do you love BBQ tofu like I do? I bet you'd like more ideas for how to make and serve it!
- If baking twice isn't your thing, try my BBQ Tofu Wings! You can make them in the oven or the air fryer, and they're freaking fantastic!
- Instead of plating this recipe, grab a bowl to mix things up. Twice-Baked BBQ Tofu makes an amazing addition to my Vegan Mashed Potato Bowls in place of the air fryer tofu.
- You can also replace the mashed potatoes with rice, pasta, or even salad greens. I'm obsessed with this Warm Romaine Salad with BBQ Tofu Salad and Tahini Ranch (pictured above). I think you will be, too!
But first things first. Let's bake some barbecue tofu...twice!
Twice Baked BBQ Tofu
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and cut into 1" cubes
- oil - optional, for greasing the baking sheet
- 1 1/2 cups vegan BBQ sauce - plus extra for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Arrange the tofu on a greased baking sheet or one lined with a Silpat. Brush with a few tablespoons of BBQ sauce, then bake for 20 minutes. Set aside, and don’t turn off the oven yet.
- Pour 1/2 cup of BBQ sauce into the bottom of an 8×8? glass baking pan, and shake the pan to spread the sauce out evenly. Arrange the baked tofu cubes on top, then top off with the rest of the sauce, shaking again to distribute the sauce.
- Stick the uncovered pan of tofu and BBQ sauce into the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.