Sticky-sweet baked BBQ tofu is perfect parked next to your favorite green veggie on top of a bed of fluffy mashed potatoes.
If you love sweet, sticky, toothsome barbecue but don't like standing over the grill or stove, this recipe is for you! You only need two ingredients to make it. No, really!
This recipe is one of my family's favorite ways to make tofu. It's twice-baked, making it toothsome and chewy, and it's covered in sweet, sticky BBQ sauce.
You may be wondering why you have to bake this twice, and I totally get it. Two rounds of baking is more work, but it pays off in both flavor and texture.
But first things first: you have to press your tofu. I definitely recommend using a tofu press for this.
During the first round of baking, you lightly coat the tofu in BBQ sauce, and bake it on a cookie sheet to infuse it with flavor and firm it up.
For round two, you transfer the tofu to a glass baking pan, smother it in even more sauce, and bake again for super firm, sticky, addictive barbecue tofu!
Choosing vegan BBQ sauce
You can use any BBQ sauce that you like to make BBQ tofu. Choose your favorite sauce from a jar or make my healthy BBQ sauce -- this recipe is super versatile!
The one thing to keep in mind when choosing your sauce is that not all BBQ sauce is vegan. Here are the main animal ingredients to keep an eye out for when you are shopping for BBQ sauces:
- meat or meat stock
Store brand BBQ sauces are often vegan, but you should still give those ingredients a once-over.
More barbecue tofu recipes
Do you love BBQ tofu like I do? I bet you'd like more ideas for how to make and serve it!
- If baking twice isn't your thing, try my BBQ Tofu Wings! You can make them in the oven or the air fryer, and they're freaking fantastic!
- Instead of plating this recipe, grab a bowl to mix things up. Twice-Baked BBQ Tofu makes an amazing addition to my Vegan Mashed Potato Bowls in place of the air fryer tofu.
- You can also replace the mashed potatoes with rice, pasta, or even salad greens. I'm obsessed with this Warm Romaine Salad with BBQ Tofu Salad and Tahini Ranch. I think you will be, too!
- In a taco mood? Try my BBQ tofu tacos!
But first things first. Let's bake some barbecue tofu...twice!
Baked BBQ tofu recipe
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and cut into ½" cubes
- 1 ½ cups vegan BBQ sauce - about one 18-ounce bottle
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a large bowl, toss the tofu cubes with two tablespoons of BBQ sauce. Arrange the tofu on a lined baking sheet, then bake for 20 minutes. Set aside, and don’t turn off the oven yet.
- Pour ½ cup of BBQ sauce into the bottom of an 8×8" glass baking pan, and shake the pan to spread the sauce out evenly. Arrange the baked tofu cubes on top, then top off with the rest of the sauce, shaking again to distribute the sauce.
- Stick the uncovered pan of tofu and BBQ sauce into the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
I love this recipe - so easy and so good! It was completely addictive right out of the oven. I had to immediately refrigerate the leftovers so I wouldn't eat the whole pan. I used leftovers today for for sandwiches on burger buns. Good hot, cold and room temperature. :-)
Ooh I love the idea of using leftovers in a sandwich. I hope you added pickle chips!
What happened to this recipe? It's my favorite, and I can't find it now. Please help!!!
If you're not seeing the recipe on the page, try disabling your ad blocker. Some ad blockers are very aggressive and block all of the content! :(
Sarah De la Cruz
This is one of our favorite recipes of yours! Love it—soooooo yummy, and super easy for a weeknight dinner because it is so hands off! A total hit with my kids!!!
This looks so delicious, Becky! The tofu press sounds great! :-)
This barbecue tofu would be so good with greens and mac & cheese. You did such a great job in the video!
Vanessa @ VeganFamilyRecipes
OMG! That tofu press would make my life soooo much easier! Right now I'm always wrapping my tofu in paper towels then putting heavy books on top and pressing on it. How was I not aware that the tofu press was a thing? Once I get my hands on one of those I'll have to try your bbq tofu! Looks delish ;)
The boys and I are borderline obsessed with tofu. And anything BBQ. So we'll be making this asap. Maybe even tonight. I even have potatoes and broccoli!!!
Alisa @ Go Dairy Free
I've been tempted by tofu presses before - it seems like almost a must for baked tofu! And I'm all about bbq sauce :)
I have two tofu presses now! My family is a two block family so I asked for another one last Christmas. Love them!!! It really does save time, mess, and presses it better than with a towel!
Wonder how this would be with Buffalo sauce?!?
One of my Twitter followers tried it and said it was awesome! Or was that you?
The tofu press sounds amazing! And this looks soooooo delicious
Sophia | Veggies Don't Bite
Twice baked sounds perfect for me! I only like my tofu crispy, so the more it crisps the better!
Twice baked? Genius! Never thought to do that. I love baked tofu so much and with BBQ sauce this is such comfort food!
I love my EZ Tofu Press! I also love the look of this barbecue tofu!