Vegan air fryer fajitas are easy to make and such a crowd-pleaser! Packed with veggies and tofu, they're a simple, weeknight dinner.
Fajitas are traditionally a stovetop dish, but making them in the air fryer is quicker and easier. Dish these up with your favorite fajitas toppings, like avocado, vegan cheese shreds, and pico de gallo.
Preparing the tofu
Pressing your tofu well is critical for this recipe. You want to get the water out, so the tofu can soak up the flavor of the fajita seasonings.
I love to press my tofu using my EZ Tofu Press.
The EZ Tofu Press is faster than weighted pressing, and it yields super firm results. You can get as much as a half cup of water out by pressing with the EZ Tofu Press. I have measured it!
After pressing, break then tofu into chunky, rustic pieces. Think approximately the size of a baby carrot.
These hand-torn pieces have more texture and surface area than tofu cubes, which works great in an air fryer fajitas recipe like this!
You want to make the most of the downtime in this recipe, so you can get this dish on the table in a flash.
While the tofu presses, whisk together the marinade ingredients and slice your onions and bell peppers.
Now, toss the tofu in the marinade. The marinade will be on the thick side, so you can use your hands to make sure all the pieces are coated, if needed. Marinate for at least 10 minutes, but longer is even better.
Transfer the tofu mixture to your air fryer basket, and cook until the tofu is nice and browned.
Then, add the onion and peppers to the bowl along with a little bit of oil and salt, tossing to coat in the salt, oil, and any left-behind seasonings. You'll add this mixture to the air fryer five minutes into cookies, because the veggies don't need quite as much cooking time as the tofu.
While the fajita mixture is cooking in the air fryer, prep your toppings, so everything will be ready when the cooking time is up.
How to serve and store
Serve up the fajitas in a serving bowl or on individual plates with a side of warmed flour tortillas.
What makes these really fun is that everyone gets to top their own veggie fajitas, right at the table. You can pick and choose your favorites, but here are some ideas to get you started:
- vegan cheese shreds
- salsa fresca
- green onions
- chopped tomatoes
- fresh or pickled jalapenos
- vegan sour cream
- homemade hot sauce or chimichurri sauce
To store leftover filling, transfer it to an airtight container. Store the toppings separately.
You can reheat the filling in the microwave or toss it back into the air fryer at 350° F for five to seven minutes.
Air fryer fajitas
For the fajita seasoning
- 3 teaspoons olive oil - divided
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika - or extra chili powder (see note)
- 1 teaspoon salt - divided
For the fajitas
- 1 block extra firm tofu - pressed and pulled into chunky pieces
- 1 cup sliced red onion
- 1 ½ cup sliced red or green bell pepper
- 8 small tortillas of your choice
- fajita toppings of choice - see note for suggestions
Prepare the tofu.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 2 teaspoons of the oil along with the vinegar, chili powder, cornstarch, garlic powder, paprika, and ¾ teaspoon of the salt.
- In an large, shallow bowl, gently toss the tofu together with the fajita seasoning. Make sure you get all of the pieces well coated. Set the tofu aside to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Transfer this mixture to the air fryer basket, and cook at 400° F for 5 minutes.
Prepare the veggies.
- While the tofu cooks, Add the sliced peppers and onions to the bowl along with the remaining teaspoon of oil and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Toss to coat.
- Transfer the veggies to your air fryer basket and use a wooden or silicone spoon (not metal!) to incorporate the bell pepper mixture. Cook at 400° F for another 15 minutes, stopping every 5 minutes to shake the basket.
- While the fajitas cook, warm the tortillas in the oven or in the microwave (see note).
Assemble & serve.
- Transfer the fajita filling to a serving bowl, and serve with the tortillas and toppings. Let your family assemble their own - that's part of the fun!