You've got to try these baked tofu fajitas! It's a flavorful and easy hands-off meal that takes less than an hour from chop to finish.
I love fajitas! They're so fun to make and to eat. Serve up these baked tofu fajitas with all of the fillings and toppings in bowls, so everyone can build their ideal plate.
It's a perfect picky eater meal.
Normally, you make fajitas on the stovetop, but on a busy weeknight, I tend to gravitate toward more hands-off cooking methods. This oven recipe has very little active cooking time, so while your fajitas bake, you can set the table, help the kids with homework, or just have a quiet minute to yourself.
Ingredients and substitutions
- oil - Helps the seasonings stick and helps the tofu brown and get crispy. Also adds moisture to the fajita veggies, so they cook up with browned edges.
- apple cider vinegar - A little acid brings out the flavors of the seasonings!
- water - Adds moisture to the spice mix
- spices - These, along with cornstarch, oil, and vinegar, make up the tofu fajitas marinade! They bring so much delicious flavor to the tofu.
- cornstarch - Helps the seasonings adhere to the tofu and helps the tofu get crispy.
- tofu - This is your protein and the base for this recipe.
- peppers and onions - Standard fajita veggies. Feel free to add other veggies, though you may need to add them later, if they cook more quickly than peppers and onions.
- tortillas - You can use any small tortillas you like to make your tofu fajitas! Gluten-free, flour, corn, etc are all fine.
- fajita toppings - Feel free to get creative here! Vegan sour cream, vegan cheddar shreds, and guacamole, and salsa are classics. But use what you have on hand! I love drizzling some raw hot sauce or even blender chimichurri onto my fajitas.
How to make Baked Tofu Fajitas
If you want to make these in the air fryer, check out my air fryer fajitas recipe!
To make baked tofu fajitas, whisk together all of the fajita marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
Press your tofu, and place it into an 8x8" glass baking pan. Add the fajita spice mixture, and toss to coat the tofu really well in all of the seasonings. Set this aside to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, prep the fajita veggies! Slice the onion and bell pepper into strips. You can also prep your toppings while the tofu marinates.
Add the peppers and onions to the pan of tofu along with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat the veggies really well.
Bake the tofu mixture at 400°F for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of cooking time, wrap the tortillas in foil and add them to the oven rack, so they can warm up.
Serve your tofu fajitas with everything on plates and in small bowls, so everyone can assemble their own!
- Definitely press your tofu for the best texture. Just 10-15 minutes of pressing makes a big difference!
- Don't skip stirring the tofu mixture as it bakes. This helps it cook evenly.
Leftovers will keep for three to five days in the fridge. Store everything separately, and warm the filling and the tortillas in the microwave or in the oven before serving.
Frequently asked questions
Tofu makes a great chicken substitute in fajitas! It crisps up nicely and plays well with all of those good, fajita seasonings.
You can use all kinds of vegan meat substitutes to make vegan fajitas! Tofu works great and is what I use in this recipe. But you can also make fajitas from soy curls, vegan chicken substitutes, seitan, etc.
You can even do all veggies! Because fajitas have so many flavorful toppings, all veggies works great! Add extra veggies, like cauliflower or broccoli to bulk out your vegan fajitas.
You can! Just make sure that your tortillas and toppings are gluten-free, and you're good to go.
More vegan tofu recipes
Baked tofu fajitas
For the fajita seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or potato starch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
For the baked tofu fajitas
- 1 block extra firm tofu pressed and cut into small strips
- 1 cup sliced sweet onion
- 1 ½ cup sliced green pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 small tortillas of your choice
- fajita toppings of choice see note for suggestions
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Make the tofu fajitas marinade & season the tofu
- In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar, cornstarch, chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and salt.
- In an 8x8" glass pan, gently toss the tofu together with the tofu fajita marinade. Make sure you get all of the pieces well coated. Set the tofu aside to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
Prep the veggies & assemble the fajitas.
- Slice the onion and green pepper into strips. Add them to the glass pan with the tofu and the remaining tablespoon of olive oil. Toss to coat.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, to make sure things cook evenly.
- While the fajitas bake, wrap the tortillas in tin foil. Toss them into the oven on the top rack for the last 10 minutes of cooking time.
Assemble & serve.
- Transfer the baked tofu fajitas to a serving bowl, and serve with the tortillas and toppings. Let your family assemble their own - that's part of the fun!