Chimichurri sauce is lovely for baking tofu, dipping bread, or even over pasta with beans and veggies. And you can make it in the blender in minutes!
I learned about chimichurri sauce many years ago, when I was working as a driver for a local CSA. All of the drivers got baskets to take home, and often our baskets would include a big, beautiful bunch of local parsley. I was wondering aloud how to use up my parsley, and one of the other drivers hipped me to the magic of chimichurri.
Think of chimichurri sauce as a nut-free pesto that uses parsley instead of basil. Parsley sauce might sound a little bit boring if you’re used to thinking of this herb as a garnish, but I feel like parsley is super underrated. Paired with bright lemon and spicy garlic, its complex, earthy flavors really shine.
If you’re not sure how to use your chimichurri sauce, I have some ideas for you!
- Dip your favorite bread.
- Use it as a marinade to make Crispy Air Fried Tofu (instead of the sauce ingredients listed).
- Use it to make baked tofu or tempeh.
- Toss veggies with it before roasting or serve it as a dip for raw veggies.
- In your next burrito, taco, or burrito bowl.
- Drizzle over rice or quinoa.
So many delicious options!
The other thing that I love about parsley is that it’s so darn easy to grow. Seriously, I think the only herb that’s easier is mint. If the parsley in my garden is thriving, you can 100% grow your own. I love growing (and eating!) parsley so much that I wrote a mini ode to my favorite unsung herb for Care2.
But enough about why I love parsley. Let’s make some chimichurri sauce, you guys! Check out the recipe video or the written recipe below.
Blender Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup fresh parsley leaves - Some stems are OK, but get rid of any large, woody stems.
- 2 cloves garlic
- juice of 1 fresh lemon
- salt and pepper - to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients in your blender except the salt and pepper, and puree until smooth.
- Transfer to your serving container. Taste and season with the salt and pepper.