A frosty, banana turmeric smoothie is such a vibrant snack or afternoon pick-me-up! It's a great breakfast addition, too.
Not too long ago, I did a little Instagram poll to see what smoothie recipe y'all would like to see next. Y'all seemed to like smoothies with a savory spice to them, and you liked ones that were fruity but simple to make.
This banana turmeric smoothie fits that bill perfectly! You can use fresh or dried turmeric and ginger to make it, and it uses just seven ingredients, plus ice.
The combination of banana with turmeric, ginger, and black pepper yields a refreshing smoothie with warming undertones that makes it just perfect all year round!
Ingredients and substitutions
- banana - Choose a ripe, medium to large banana. The riper it is, the sweeter your smoothie will be, which is why you're sweetening to taste with the maple syrup.
- non-dairy milk - Choose a creamy vegan milk for this smoothie. I like soy milk for the protein, but oat, almond, etc also work well.
- turmeric and ginger - You can use fresh or ground for this smoothie.
- peanut butter - For protein and to thicken the smoothie. You can use almond butter, sunflower butter, or hemp seeds instead.
- ice - To thicken the smoothie and make it nice and frosty.
- black pepper - This is optional, but if you want this really warming, I'd definitely add it!
- maple syrup - To sweeten. How much you need will depend on your personal tastes and how sweet your bananas are. You may need non at all! You can also sweeten with agave or your favorite liquid sweetener, if you prefer.
How to make a turmeric banana smoothie
Add all of the ingredients to your blender, except the maple syrup, and blend until smooth.
Taste and add maple syrup by the teaspoon to sweeten, if needed. You can also throw in more ice, if the smoothie isn't as thick as you like. This will depend on your personal tastes and the size of your banana.
How much maple syrup you'll need to add depends on how sweet your plant-based milk is and how sweet the banana is. Start with none, then add slowly, if needed, to sweeten to taste.
Frequently asked questions
For this recipe, it's not strictly necessary. Just wash before using, because ginger and turmeric are roots, so they can have dirt on them. The skin can give a slightly bitter taste, but the sweet bananas and the maple syrup will mask that well.
More smoothie recipes
Banana Turmeric Smoothie
- 1 medium banana
- ½ cup non-dairy milk - I used soy milk for a little protein.
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric - or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger - or 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter - or almond butter or 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 cup ice cubes - or more, for a thicker smoothie
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper - optional
- 1 to 2 tablespoons maple syrup - optional, to taste, depends on how sweet your bananas are
- Add all of the ingredients to your blender, except the maple syrup, and blend until smooth.
- Taste and add maple syrup to sweeten, if needed. You can also throw in more ice, if the smoothie isn't as thick as you like. This will depend on your personal tastes and the size of your banana.
- Drink immediately.