Rich, flavorful Chia Chai Puddings are a perfect breakfast for one or dessert for two. They only take about five minutes to throw together!
Chai spices are a delightful addition to your next chia pudding! I love the warming, spicy flavors in a good mug of chai tea, and here it's converted into dessert or breakfast form.
The cool part about these Chai Puddings is that they contains no refined sugar. They're date-sweetened, so they're decadent enough to serve as a dessert but healthy enough to eat for breakfast.
Chia pudding is very filling, so if you do decide to serve this as a dessert, you can get get two servings out of the recipe below. Or eat the whole thing for dessert. I don't judge - in fact, I've done it many times.
It does take a long time for your chai puddings to set up.
You don't have to cook your Chai Puddings, but you do need to give the chia seeds time to drink in all of the liquid. They'll plump up considerably, and you'll have a thick, spoonable pudding when it's ready to serve. Chia pudding has a texture similar to tapioca, but smaller.
If you're planning to serve this as a dessert, throw the ingredients together in the morning. For breakfast, stir it up the night before, so it will be ready to eat when you wake up.
Chia Chai Puddings
- 1 cup soy milk - (or your favorite vegan milk)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of ground cloves
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 date
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- Blend the soy milk, spices, and dates until you have a smooth mix.
- Pour into a pint jar, and add the chia seeds. Stir well to combine. Seal the jar, and give it a good shake before sticking it into the fridge.
- Refrigerate overnight and enjoy in the morning!