Rich and creamy pumpkin black bean soup with coconut milk, ginger, and cardamom will warm you from the inside out. And it's incredibly easy to make!
Don't you just love a velvety, pureed soup? This hearty pumpkin black bean soup is packed with flavor and filling enough to be a main dish, if you serve it up with crusty bread for dipping.
I wanted to keep this recipe easy peasy, so you will be using canned beans and canned pumpkin. Of course, you can cook your beans and make your pumpkin puree from scratch, if you prefer. You do you!
You make this pumpkin black bean soup all in a single pot, and you can use an immersion blender or an upright blender to puree it. I prefer an immersion blender, because there's less cleanup.
If you use an upright blender, just let the soup cool a bit first, because hot soup in a blender can cause a blendsplosion. What a mess!
To make the soup, you just do a quick saute, a quick simmer, puree, and serve.
The results are thick, filling pumpkin black bean soup that you are going to absolutely love!
How to serve and store
This soup serves four as an entree or six to eight as a side dish. If you want it to be the main event, I recommend dishing it up with crusty bread or garlic bread for dipping. YUM!
I also love this as a side dish! Serve it alongside:
- a nice, green salad
- a kale salad
- chicken "fried" tofu and your favorite steamed or sauteed green veggie
- your favorite vegan tacos
Really, anywhere that a hearty, creamy soup would work, you can serve this pumpkin black bean soup.
This soup freezes like a dream! I like to freeze it in mason jars to have on hand when I know there's a busy week coming. Thaw in the fridge overnight or on the counter for a few hours, then reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop.
If you want to eat your leftovers sooner, you can also store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in a saucepan on the stove or in the microwave.
Creamy vegan pumpkin black bean soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 red bell peppers - chopped
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 cloves of garlic - minced
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 15 oz. can black beans - rinsed and drained
- 1 13.5 oz. can of full fat coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1" piece of fresh ginger - minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- sriracha sauce - optional, to taste
- toasted pumpkin seeds - optional, for topping
- Heat the oil on medium-high, and saute the peppers, onions, and garlic until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the sriracha sauce and pumpkin seeds, to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes
- Puree the soup with your immersion blender, or let it cool and blend in batches in your blender or food processor.
- Serve topped with sriracha sauce and toasted pumpkin seeds, if you're using them.