This easy vegan chorizo is packed with flavor and comes together quickly in your food processor. From there, sauté it for use in tacos, burritos, bowl meals, and more!
Y'all, this recipe truly could not be easier. I even have a no-cook variation, if you don't feel like firing up the stove.
To make the full version, you toss all of your ingredients into a food processor, and pulse until you have an even mixture.
Then, transfer the vegan chorizo mixture to a pan with a little bit of heated oil, and sauté until it's browned and lovely.
For a no-cook version, omit the fresh onion and garlic. The flavors of these are just a bit too strong uncooked. Replace them with a teaspoon each of onion and garlic powder.
Pulse in the food processor until crumbly, and you are ready to serve!
How to serve and store
Use this vegan chorizo anywhere that you'd use conventional chorizo crumbles! It's great in:
- Stuffed into tacos.
- Folded into a burrito.
- Layered into vegan enchiladas.
- In a taco salad.
- On top of a burrito bowl.
If you do have leftovers, just store them in an airtight container. You can warm them in the microwave or with a little bit of oil in a skillet.
Easy vegan chorizo
- ½ a medium sweet onion - peeled and cut into big chunks
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas - drained and rinsed
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- pinch of cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the olive oil, in your blender or food processor. Pulse until you have an even mixture.
- In a skillet, heat the oil over medium high. Add the contents of the food processor, and cook for 5-10 minutes, until the mixture begins to brown and turns fragrant.