A creamy, zesty lemon smoothie is like a glassful of sunshine! It's a refreshing snack on a hot day.
The keys to this vibrant smoothie's amazing flavor and texture are lemon zest and non-dairy yogurt. Together, they make a smoothie that's refreshing with a citrusy zing.
You're going to use both the zest and the juice from your lemon in this smoothie to give it big lemon flavor!
Frozen mango adds a bit of sweetness and thickens it up even more, and you can sweeten to taste with agave nectar or your favorite sweetener of choice, if needed.
Ingredients and substitutions
- lemon - Zest your lemon, then slice it in half and juice it. Using both the zest and juice gives this smoothie an incredible, citrusy flavor!
- non-dairy yogurt - I like to use soy yogurt for the extra protein, but almond, coconut, or other thick, non-dairy yogurt will work fine. Unsweetened is ideal, but it's OK if you can't find unsweet yogurt.
- turmeric - This is optional but gives this smoothie such a vibrant color!
- frozen mango - Adds sweetness and thickens the smoothie even more.
- non-dairy milk - Helps the blender do its thing and ups the creamy factor even more. I like to use soy milk, but you can use any vegan milk you like. Like the yogurt, use unsweetened, if possible.
- sweetener of choice - I'm using agave nectar, but you can use maple syrup, organic sugar, or your favorite sugar alternative, to taste. If your milk and/or yogurt are sweet, you may be able to omit or reduce the amount of sweetener. Start with none, and add small amounts to sweeten to taste.
How to make a lemon smoothie
Add all of the ingredients to the blender, and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness by slowly adding more sweetener to reach your desired flavor, blending between additions.
- Make sure that you zest your lemon first, then juice. It's hard to zest a lemon after juicing, because it's all misshapen.
- When sweetening, start with a small amount. You can always add, but you can't take away. How much you need to sweeten depends on the vegan milk and yogurt that you use and your personal tastes.
Frequently asked questions
You'd think so, but don't worry. This smoothie doesn't curdle.
Choose your favorite sweetener! Maple syrup, organic sugar, or even artificial sweetener all work. Just start with a small amount, blend, taste, and add more as needed.
More lemon recipes
- 1 lemon - juiced and zested
- ½ cup non-dairy yogurt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon turmeric - optional
- ½ cup frozen mango
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup ice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar - or more or less, to taste, or use sweetener of choice, to taste. Start with no sweetener, if your yogurt and/or milk are sweetened.
- Add all of the ingredients to the blender, and blend until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness by slowly adding more sweetener to reach your desired flavor, blending between additions.