This quick and easy Southwest Pasta Salad couldn’t be simpler. It tastes even better the next day, so it’s a great make-ahead for picnics and parties.
Southwest Pasta Salad
Spring is SO CLOSE, y’all. Bring on the shorts weather, picnics, cookouts, and all of the warm-weather fun! Southwest Pasta Salad is sure to be a hit at your first BBQ of the season, and no one has to know how easy it was for you to make it!
You can double or even triple this recipe to serve as few or as many people as you need.
The secret to this flavorful pasta salad is jarred salsa. The salsa really brings the flavor to this situation, so choose your very favorite one.
Seriously, this vegan pasta salad is super simple and quick to make. While the water and pasta pasta boil, you’ll have plenty of time to measure you spices and prep your veggies.
This pasta salad is great day-of, but I think it’s even more delicious the next day.
If you’re going to make your Southwest Pasta Salad ahead of time, just hold off on the avocado. Dice and toss in the avocado just before serving, so it stays fresh.
Southwest Pasta Salad
- 2 cups dry rotini pasta
- 2 ears corn - raw or cooked (or 1 1/2 cups frozen corn, thawed)
- 15 ounce can black beans - rinsed (or 2 cups cooked black beans)
- 1/4 cup minced green onion
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 3/4 teaspoon mild chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 cup lime juice - (2 limes will do the trick)
- 3/4 cup your favorite salsa - homemade or store-bought is fine
- 1 Haas avocado - diced (If you’re making this in advance, don’t chop the avocado until the day-of.)
- hot sauce - to taste, optional (depends on your salsa choice and how spicy you like your food)
- Prepare the pasta according to package directions and drain. While the water boils and the pasta cooks, prep the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large serving or storage bowl, toss together the corn, beans, green onions, garlic, spices, lime juice, and salsa.
- Add the cooked pasta to the corn and bean mixture, mixing well. If you’re making this in advance, here is your stopping place. Cover and chill until you’re ready to serve – up to overnight.
- Just before serving, toss in the avocado. Taste and add hot sauce, if you want it a little spicier.