This Vegan Spinach-Artichoke Dip recipe doesn’t use any mayo, cheese, cream cheese, or sour cream, but it’s just as decadent. Promise!
This Spinach-Artichoke Dip is a vegan version of a family favorite from my childhood. Let me tell you a story.
When I was growing up, my mom had a friend who we can just call Betty. Whenever our family would get together with Betty’s, she made this super delicious artichoke dip.
It was sort of her thing, and my sister and I loved it. Mom asked Betty a few times if she’d share her recipe, but she told us it was an old family secret.
Then one evening at supper I was looking on the side of the Kraft Parmesan cheese container, and there it was: a baked artichoke dip recipe! We passed the container around the table, and we were pretty sure that we’d discovered Betty’s “family secret.”
We made a batch and it tasted exactly like hers! Of course, next time we all got together, mom brought a pan with her. Busted!
Making Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
Since going vegan I’ve missed that artichoke dip, and this Vegan Spinach-Artichoke Dip recipe is me trying to recreate that comfort food from my childhood.
I texted my mom to get the non-vegan recipe – it was heavy on the mayo and, of course, the shakey Parmesan cheese – then veganized it. I’m thrilled with how it came out!
Instead of mayo, I created a flavorful garlic cashew cream to give this dip its a creaminess. The cashew cream comes together quickly in the blender.
To replace the shakey Parm, I just substituted nutritional yeast!
The original dip didn’t have spinach, but I think the greens make it a lot prettier and maybe even more delicious than the dip I remember from childhood. This recipe uses thawed frozen spinach, because it’s easy and has the perfect texture.
Make sure that you drain that spinach well! Frozen spinach contains a lot of water. I like to actually “wring” it out in a colander. You don’t want a watery dip!
If you don’t like artichoke (or don’t like spinach), you can customize this dip to suit your tastes. If you eliminate one of the veggies, just double the amount of the other, and you’re in business. This recipe is very forgiving, so don’t be shy about mixing things up, if that’s your thing!
Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip with Garlic Cashew Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews – soaked in hot water for 10 minutes
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 9 ounce bag frozen spinach – thawed and drained
- 1 14 ounce can artichoke hearts – drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper – to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine cashews, water, garlic, and lemon juice in your blender and puree until very smooth.
- In an 8×8″ oven-safe dish, fold the spinach, artichoke hearts, and nooch into the cashew cream. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the dip – uncovered on the top oven rack – for 20-30 minutes to get a nice crust on the top.
- This recipe doubles easily, and you can fit the doubled recipe into the same 8×8″ pan that you use for a single batch. Since a double batch will fill the pan, I recommend doing the mixing in a separate, large bowl. It’s going to be tough to mix that much dip right in the pan.
- You can also make this with just spinach or just artichokes. Simply double the amount of one and leave out the other.