Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TrySomeTHINGood #CollectiveBias
Vegan French Onion Dip is a grown-up spin on a slumber party classic. Perfect for dipping as a snack or as part of your next party spread!
When I was in grade school, French onion dip was a slumber party must-have. Remember the one you'd get in the tins next to the ruffled chips? My folks didn't let us have junky food like that in the house, so it was such a special treat to indulge in that rich, creamy dip.
Even my health-conscious mom would have let us have this Vegan French Onion Dip, though!
Before we get into the recipe, I do want to say that this is not your typical French onion dip. It has those same notes -- creamy, oniony, decadent -- but it contains no dairy and no processed ingredients.
Dipping with GOOD THiNS
I developed this dip recipe to pair with one of my new favorite snacks: GOOD THiNS.
These crispy little bites contain real food ingredients, and I love that I can have the crisp crunch of a chip without the ick feeling that I get after eating a bunch of chips.
I found my GOOD THiNS- The Potato One- Sweet Potato at my local Kroger. Find your local Kroger to get your GOOD THiNS.The Kroger near me carries a great selection of GOOD THiNS, including:
- GOOD THiNS- The Beet One- Balsamic Vinegar & Sea Salt - This new variety combines a mild salt and vinegar tang with the sweet, sweet goodness of beets.
- GOOD THiNS- The Wheat One- Ancient Grains - These contain ancient grains, like quinoa and millet. They're 100% whole wheat and super delicious.
- GOOD THiNS- The Potato One- Sweet Potato - A classic, and Darrol's favorite. They contain real sweet potatoes and have 60% less fat than regular fried potato chips.
GOOD THiNS start with a wholesome base, like potato or rice, then layer on the herbs, spices, and more flavorful veggies. They contain no artificial flavors, colors, cholesterol, partially hydrogenated oils or high fructose corn syrup. Boom.
Before GOOD THiNS contacted me about teaming up, I'd only had GOOD THiNS- The Potato One. Darrol is obsessed with these and begs for them every time we are at the store. He was thrilled when I told him that we could get two boxes this time! I got the Sweet Potato variety that I know he loves and GOOD THiNS- The Beet One- Balsamic Vinegar & Sea Salt, because I am crazy for salt and vinegar.
That French Onion Dip, Tho
But back to that dip! It starts out with a tangy tahini sauce base, then adds roasted onions, a clove of roasted garlic and a touch of parsley.
Everything comes together in the blender, like all of my favorite dips and dressings, so it's super easy, too!
It's really that easy, so fire up that oven, dust off your blender, and let's do this!
More vegan dips
Vegan French Onion Dip
Roasted Onion Ingredients
- 2 cups diced sweet onion (A medium Vidalia should do the trick.)
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup tahini
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoons loosely-packed parsley
Roasting the Onions
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In an 8x8" glass pan, toss together the onion, garlic, oil, and salt. Bake for 30-35 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until they're nice and browned. This is longer than you'd normally roast onions, that that's no accident. During the last 15 minutes of cooking, check in every 5 minutes and stir. You want lots of sweet, crispy browned onions to come out of this pan!
Making the Dip
- Reserve ½ cup of the roasted onions.
- Add the remaining roasted onions, the clove of roasted garlic, any oil remaining in the pan, and the Dip Ingredients to your blender. Puree until smooth, adding more water by the tablespoon, as needed, to get things moving.
- Transfer to a small bowl, and stir in the reserved roasted onions.
- Chill until you're ready to serve. Make sure you serve with plenty of chips for dipping!