The Pulled Shiitake Mushroom BBQ from Linda & Alex Meyer's Great Vegan BBQ Without a Grill is a sweet, sticky, "meaty" vegan pulled pork sandwich that's going to rock your socks.
There are so many ways to make vegan pulled pork, and what I love about Lina & Alex's recipe is that it's easy, and the mushrooms really bring that meaty texture and umami flavor to the mix. Make it with homemade BBQ sauce or store-bought vegan BBQ sauce.
It's not too hard to shop for vegan BBQ sauce, but there are a few ingredients you want to keep an eye out for:
- meat extracts, broths, etc
The good news is that many store brand BBQ sauces are vegan, because it's cheaper to make vegan BBQ sauce. That also means you can save a buck when you're shopping for the ingredients to make your vegan pulled pork.
This recipe makes four very generous servings. I think you could easily get six or even eight sandwiches out of this recipe, just get yourself more buns and toppings.
About the Book
This really appeals to me, because I love grilled food but don't super love the grilling part. Dave tends to man the grill in our house, while I fix sides like Broccoli Slaw and Dilly Potato Salad. We play to our strengths around here.
The book walks you through some basic ingredients and kitchen tools, then they break the recipes up into categories.
There's a chapter of entrees to win over the meat-eaters in your life, burgers and sandwiches, and food on sticks. There are also chapters packed with sides, dips, and sauces.
Some of my favorite people have also reviewed the book. Check out these other recipes from Great Vegan BBQ without a Grill:
- Jacked Up Vegan Crab Dip at Cadry's Kitchen
- Boot Kickin' BBQ Cauliflower Tacos at Dianne's Vegan Kitchen
- Smoky Skillet BBQ Baked Beans at Veggies Save the Day
- "Honey" BBQ Ribz at Veganosity
- Smoky Mac 'n' Cheese with Coconut Bacon at Thyme & Love
If you're like me and love BBQ but don't love to grill, this book is a must-have!
But Back to that Vegan Pulled Pork!
You only need five ingredients to make your pulled mushroom BBQ, plus buns and toppings.
I love that they top this sandwich with tangy, buttery arugula; sweet tomato; and sour pickle slices. That combined with sweet, sticky BBQ sauce is a party in your mouth.
Just fry up the mushrooms with onions, toss in your BBQ sauce, and heap that vegan pulled pork onto the vegan BBQ sandwich OF YOUR DREAMS!
More Vegan Sandwich Recipes
Pulled Shiitake Mushroom BBQ
- 2 cups Big Mama’s Homemade BBQ Sauce (page 161) or store bought
- 22 oz shiitake mushrooms
- 22 oz baby Portobello mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white or yellow onion finely diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 hamburger buns
- tomato slices
- sliced dill pickles
- Make the BBQ sauce, if you don’t already have some on hand, to allow the flavors to infuse while you prepare the mushrooms.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms. They should look shredded. Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Depending on the size of the pan, you may need to cook the mushrooms and onions in two batches. When the oil is hot, add the mushrooms and onions and stir frequently until the mushrooms lose their water and the onions become translucent and soft, approximately 5 to 7 minutes.
- Turn up the heat to medium-high and add salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the onions caramelize and the edges of the mushrooms begin to crisp up, approximately 5 minutes.
- When the mushrooms and onions are done cooking, add the BBQ sauce to the pan and stir until the mushrooms are completely coated in the sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil on medium heat and then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cook for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce is thick and sticky.
- Serve the mushrooms on the buns and top with the arugula, tomato and sliced pickles.