Jalapeno slaw is a spicy, creamy side dish or topping for fishless tacos. You only need five simple ingredients and about five minutes to make it!
Y'all, I am obsessed with this jalapeno slaw! It's so simple to make and a perfect veggie side for a weeknight meal.
This vegan slaw is creamy, tangy, and can be as mild or spicy as you want it to be.
Jalapeno slaw comes together in a flash. You only need about five minutes to make it, if you use my two shortcuts!
First off, I rarely shred cabbage by hand, unless there's a very specific thickness or type of cabbage that I want.
You can see in the photos and in the video that my slaw has bits of carrot in it. That's because the bagged coleslaw my store had included carrot. And that's fine. A little veggie variety in this recipe is a-OK!
My other shortcut is using pickled jalapenos that are already chopped. You can find these at the regular grocery store, right next to the sliced pickled jalapenos. The price is the same, so save yourself some time and effort!
Once you gather your ingredients, mix the jalapeno slaw together. Add the jalapenos by the tablespoon until you reach your desired heat level. Then, chill until it's time to serve.
How to serve and store
I love this as a side or a topping! Here are some serving suggestions:
- alongside my Chicken Fried Tofu, for a vegan KFC-style meal
- to top fishless tacos with some sliced avocado
- as a side with your favorite sandwich
- on top of a vegan BBQ sandwich
Really, anywhere you'd use plain ol' coleslaw, this jalapeno slaw will not just work but add a whole extra flavor dimension to the mix.
Your slaw will keep for around three days in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Jalapeno slaw recipe
- 1 ½ cups shredded cabbage - see note
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ cup chopped green onion
- 2-4 tablespoons chopped pickled jalapenos - to taste, see note
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- Toss everything together in a large bowl. Chill until you're ready to serve.
- Buy bagged, shredded cabbage. In the photos and video, you'll see that there are little carrot pieces in my slaw. That's because I used bagged coleslaw mix, which is just shredded cabbage and sometimes a touch of shredded carrots.
- Use already-chopped pickled jalapenos. Most grocery stores sell pickled jalapenos that are already chopped up. Such a time-saver!