Tangy, dilly vegan sour cream dip is quick and easy to make. It comes together in minutes, even if you choose to make the sour cream from scratch!
You can make your vegan sour cream dip with store-bought vegan sour cream or homemade. I've done it both ways, and it works great!
If you want to make your sour cream from scratch, I recommend using my garlic cashew cream recipe, but eliminating the garlic and increasing the lemon juice by one to two tablespoons. You can back off on the water, too, to make it thicker, more like dairy sour cream.
You can use cashew cream, your favorite homemade sour cream recipe, or packaged vegan sour cream. You do you!
If you're making from-scratch sour cream, add the spices in this recipe to the blender when you're making the sour cream itself. It can all come together at once.
For store-bought, just mix the sour cream in your serving bowl with the spices, and you're good to go.
Either way, this simple dip takes about 10 minutes of active time to make. You can serve it right away, but I definitely recommend chilling it.
The chilling time gives the flavors a chance to meld, and you'll have a much more flavorful result if you wait. It also allows the sour cream to thicken up more for the most decadent dipping experience.
How to store and use it
You can make this recipe a day or two before your party. It keeps for up to a week in the fridge. If you are making this ahead or if you have leftovers (you won't!), just store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
This sour cream dip also works in other applications besides as a dip. It's great dolloped onto baked potatoes or a bowl of soup. I sometimes like to add a spoonful of this dip to a bowl of vegan chicken stew to give it a creamy edge.
Vegan Sour Cream Dip Recipe
- 2 cups (16 ounces) vegan sour cream - store-bought or homemade is fin
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and white pepper - to taste
- veggies - for dipping
- For store-bought sour cream: Combine all of the ingredients except for the veggies right in your serving bowl, and chill the dip for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- For homemade sour cream: If you’re making the sour cream from scratch, you can do it at the same time as you make the dip. Just add the garlic, onion, dill, lemon juice, salt, and pepper to the blender along with the sour cream ingredients. Chill for 15-20 minutes before serving.