These spicy vegan sriracha wings are really easy to make, and are, of course, perfect dipped in cashew ranch.
This recipe is part of the Vegan Month of Food, and today’s writing prompt is Make Something Inspired by a TV Show or Movie. I’ve recently had Arrested Development on the brain, especially their Chicken Dance:
What better way to celebrate the chicken dance than with some vegan sriracha wings? More vegan wings means more dancing chickens!
That’s how it works, right?
Choosing Your Sriracha Sauce
I wanted to include a little note about sriracha sauce, because I learned the hard way that not all sriracha sauces are vegan. Some sriracha sauces contain fish sauce. A quick look at the ingredients will tell you whether your sriracha sauce is vegan.
Rooster sauce – the one with the green lid that’s pretty available everywhere – is totally vegan. So is Ninja Squirrel Sriracha, which you can find at Whole Foods. I have used both of these to make this recipe, and they both work great!
On to the Wings!
Guys, this recipe is NOT health food. These wings aren’t baked. They’re fried in lots of oil. They’re not deep fried, though, because deep frying is kind of a pain in the patoot. And I wanted a recipe that was both decadent and easy to clean up.
You’re basically pan-frying strips of tofu in hot sauce and oil. Wait no. That is exactly what you’re doing. It’s such a simple cooking method, and the results are spicy, greasy perfection. Especially if you possibly, accidentally drank too many mint juleps the night before.
Serve up some vegan sriracha wings as an appetizer with celery and carrot sticks or as a main dish with some mashed potatoes and and a green veg on the side.
Spicy Vegan Sriracha Wings
Yield: 16 tofu wings; 4-8 servings
- 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1/4 cup sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil or olive oil
- 1 batch Cashew Ranch
- Slice your pressed block of tofu into 8 rectangular cutlets, then slice those cutlets diagonally, so you’ll have 16 perfect little tofu triangles. You can see how to do this in the tofu photo above.
- Gently toss the tofu in the siracha sauce, coating both sides of each triangle really well. The triangles are a little fragile before cooking, so try your best not to break your pieces. If you do accidentally, that’s ok! Just fry it all up anyway. The shape is really just for fun.
- We’re ready to fry! Heat the oil over medium heat in a large frying pan. It’s important that your oil get hot enough, or you’ll end up with soggy wings. Your pan is hot when a few drops of water sprinkled into the pan sizzle immediately.
- Cook the tofu for 4-5 minutes on each side, until they’re nice and browned. You may need to do this in batches, if your triangles won’t all fit in your pan in a single layer. Transfer the finished vegan sriracha wings to a plate using a slotted spatula, so you’re not spooning all of the oil onto the plate with them.
- Serve with plenty of cashew ranch for dipping!