I swear to you that this chocolate spinach smoothie tastes like a chocolate shake. No dairy or added sweeteners needed!
It's a rich, creamy, chocolatey, omnivore-approved glass of goodness. And there are totally greens in that glass!
This chocolate spinach smoothie recipe is adapted from the second edition of my cookbook, 40 Days of Green Smoothies.
I use spinach as the greens in this smoothie, but you can use other leafy greens, like kale, collard greens, or even lettuce! If you're using greens with a tough stem, remove the stem before adding to the blender.
Ingredients and substitutions
- avocado - Avocado adds some healthy fats and creaminess to this smoothie.
- banana - Not only does the banana add more creaminess, but it sweetens the smoothie without the need for added sugars. The cocoa powder almost completely covers the banana taste.
- cocoa powder - Unsweetened cocoa powder gives this chocolate spinach smoothie its chocolatey flavor.
- flax meal - This adds thickness, protein, and fiber. You can omit or use chia or hemp seeds instead, if you like.
- spinach - Feel free to use other leafy greens, if you prefer. Start with the low amount of spinach, then add more after tasting.
- plant-based milk - I like soy, oat, or almond milk. Just make sure you choose a creamy vegan milk.
- ice - The ice thickens this smoothie even more and makes it refreshingly cool! The amount of ice you need depends on how thick you want your smoothie to be.
How to make a chocolate spinach smoothie
Add all of the ingredients to your blender, starting with the ¼ cup of spinach. Blend, taste, and add more spinach, if you want!
If you want your smoothie thicker, add more ice cubes at this time, too, and blend again.
- Make sure you blend until you have a totally smooth mixture. It may take longer in a regular blender than in a high speed blender, and it helps to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender canister occasionally, to make sure everything gets broken down by the blades.
- If you replace the spinach with kale or collard greens, remove the stems before adding to the blender.
Frequently asked questions
Absolutely. Kale, collards, lettuce, etc all work well in this recipe. For greens with a tough stem, like kale, remove the stems before adding.
You shouldn't taste the greens at all! That's why we start with a smaller amount and add more, to taste. The cocoa powder and sweet banana mask the flavor of the greens beautifully.
More green smoothies
Chocolate Spinach Smoothie
- ¼ to ½ Haas avocado - peeled and pitted, use ½ if the avocado is very small
- 1 banana
- 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons cocoa powder - to taste
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- ¼ to ½ cup spinach - or kale or other leafy greens of your choice, packed
- 1 cup soy, oat, or almond milk - or other creamy vegan milk
- 5 ice cubes - or more, for a thicker smoothie
- Add all of the ingredients to your blender, starting with the ¼ cup of spinach. Blend, taste, and add more spinach, if you want! If you want it thicker, add more ice cubes at this time, too, and blend again. Serve topped with some chocolate chips!