Vegan quiche Lorraine is rich, yet light and fluffy. And it’s packed with vegan bacon power.
You guys, I am thrilled to be part of the blog tour for Leinana Two Moons’s new vegan cookbook: Baconish. It’s a whole book dedicated to the different ways that you can make vegan bacon. There’s a joke in the vegan community that vegans can make bacon out of anything, and this book proves that it’s funny because it’s true. Get the vegan quiche Lorraine recipe from Baconish below!
More bacony goodness: Get my bacon cashews recipe!
The book starts out with the basics: a little introduction about bacon and then 14 different “Meet the Bacons” recipes. I like that in the book’s intro, she doesn’t shy away from touching on our culture’s obsession with bacon. In her introduction, she says, “I hope this book will interest everyone who loves bacon – and everyone who loves animals even more than they love bacon.”
From there, she shares breakfast recipes, soups, salads, sandwiches, sides, main dishes, and even desserts packed with vegan bacon goodness. The vegan quiche Lorraine recipe is from the breakfast chapter, and I’m so glad that I chose it to try first. It’s pretty quick and easy, and the results are just delightful.
To make her vegan quiche Lorraine, you can use homemade or store-bought bacon and a homemade or store-bought pie crust. Leinana has two kids, so she totally gets maybe not having time to cook everything from scratch. Whichever direction you go, I think you’ll be really happy with this recipe and with Baconish!
Vegan Quiche Lorraine Recipe from Baconish
Yield: 6 to 8 servings
This quiche bakes up light, fluffy, and custardy, just the way I like it. Enjoy this for brunch with my favorite side dish, the mimosa. (See photo on page 42.) (From Baconish © 2016 by Leinana Two Moons. Used with permission from Vegan Heritage Press.)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 14 ounces soft tofu, drained
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped seitan bacon or your favorite vegan bacon
- 1 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (9-inch) vegan pie crust
- chopped fresh chives, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350?F. In a blender or food processor, pulse the cashews until they are finely ground. Add the tofu, cornstarch, nutritional yeast, miso paste, mustard, salt, and onion powder, then blend again until the mixture is very smooth.
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon pieces and cook until they are browned and crispy, 5 to 6 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the tofu filling with the bacon and cheese. Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust and bake for 45 minutes, until deep golden brown on top. Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes. Garnish with chopped fresh chives before serving.