A hearty, warm, holiday kale salad recipe starring seasonal fruits and veggies.
Guys, I am so excited to introduce you to my awesome sponsors: Superfresh Growers. They were kind enough to send me a flat of their Autumn Glory Apples to play with. Normally, when I’m working on apple recipes, I go for desserts, cocktails, or applesauce, but I felt like these apples, with their mellow natural caramel and cinnamon notes, would be perfect for a holiday kale salad recipe.
If you’re worried about GMO apples, I want to put your mind at ease. These apples aren’t genetically modified. They’re actually a cross between Fuji and Golden Delicious apples, and you can taste those flavors when you bite into one. If you love Fujis (who doesn’t?), you’ll love these apples! They’re the perfect sweet addition to a holiday kale salad.
I’d never noticed Superfresh Growers apples at local stores, but I’m pretty sure that is because I wasn’t paying attention. My contact at the company said that in Atlanta, you can find them at:
- Whole Foods
So, pretty much every store. Keep your eyes peeled for these apples – they are seriously delicious. Sweet, crisp, and not mealy at all.
Aside from the apples, what makes this recipe super special is the warm cranberry dressing. Now that the weather is getting cooler, warm salads are a good way to sneak in some veggies while still dishing up a cozy bowl of food.
There are lots of ways to make a warm salad, and this holiday kale salad gets it’s warming goodness from heated dressing. Just combine the ingredients in your blender, pour into a pan on the stove, and heat just before serving.
You might not think “comfort food” when you think “kale salad,” but seriously, you guys. This simple recipe is a bowlful of cozy goodness.
Earthy kale and crunchy walnuts are so lovely with the cinnamon-caramel flavors in the sweet, Autumn Glory apples. Tossed with the sweet-spicy-tart warm dressing, this is an easy holiday kale salad that your guests will love!
Holiday Kale Salad with Warm Ginger Cranberry Dressing
- 8 cups chopped kale - ribs removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- juice of 1 fresh lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 Autumn Glory Apple - chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup cup minced sweet onion
- 1 batch Ginger Cranberry Salad Dressing
- In a large bowl, combine the kale, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. With clean hands, massage the kale until it turns rich, dark brown and begins to wilt.
- Toss in the apple, walnuts, and onion, making sure everything gets coated in the oil and lemon. The lemon is going to help prevent the apples from browning, so be thorough!
- Pour the Ginger Cranberry Salad Dressing into a small pot, and heat on medium until you just start to see bubbles form. Do not bring to a boil! Toss the salad with the warm dressing, and serve immediately.