Smoky Pecan Brussels Sprouts: a little bit sweet, a little bit smoky, with a nutty crunch. And they only take about 15 minutes to make!
I am so excited to share the recipe for Smoky Pecan Brussels Sprouts from Kathy Hester's latest: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook for Your Instant Pot! This is one of the vegan cookbooks that I've been looking forward to in 2017, so when Kathy asked who would like to receive a review copy, I jumped!
Kathy is a friend, but before I got to know her, I was already a big fan of her cookbooks. Her recipes are always easy to follow and well-tested. You can check out a few other recipes from the book at these sites who are also part of the blog tour:
- Asian Steamed Dumplings on Healthy Slow Cooking
- Winter One-Pot Lentils and Rice at Go Dairy Free
- Tomatillo-Poblano White Beans at JL Goes Vegan
- CSA Layered Indian Dinner at Dianne's Vegan Kitchen
I'm on a bit of a Brussels sprouts kick over here. I bought a bag last week to cook in the air fryer (still working on the final version of that recipe!), so I was super excited to see a Brussels sprouts recipe for the Instant Pot in the book. I loved that the Smoky Pecan Brussels Sprouts were simple to make and only have four ingredients. So easy, and perfect alongside some Crispy Air Fried Tofu and some mashed potatoes.
If you're new to the Instant Pot, it's a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker, and yogurt maker all in one. I use mine mainly to make grains, steam veggies, and make soy yogurt, so this recipe was totally my speed.
Kathy's recipe takes advantage of the pressure cooking function to steam the Brussels sprouts in just two minutes, then uses the saute function to coat the smoky sprouts and nutty pecans in sweet, sweet maple syrup.
There is virtually no prep time when you're making this recipe. In fact, if you buy your pecans already chopped, the prep time is zero. I allowed a few minutes, in case you need to chop your pecans, but that's really all that you need to do in advance. In fact, you can chop them while you wait for the Brussels to come to pressure and cook. The Brussels sprouts go in whole, and all of the other ingredients are liquid, so you just measure and pour.
Instant Pot Brussels Sprouts Recipe
Pressure Cooker Ingredients
- 2 cups small baby Brussels sprouts - 176 g, as close to the same size as possible
- ¼ cup water - 60 ml
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- ¼ cup chopped pecans - 28 g
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup - 30 ml
- salt - to taste
- For the pressure cooker, add the Brussels sprouts, water and liquid smoke to your Instant Pot and mix well. Put the lid on and close the pressure valve. Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. (Note: If you have very large Brussels sprouts, you may need to double the cooking time.)
- Once the cooking time is up, carefully move the pressure release valve to release the pressure manually.
- For the sauté, switch to the sauté function and add in the pecans and maple syrup and reduce the liquid as you finish cooking the sprouts. Remove from the heat once tender and add salt to taste.