I’m loving my air fryer right now, and I’ve been collecting vegan air fryer recipes for quick-and-easy breakfasts, lunches, suppers, and snacks. Below is a growing list of vegan air fryer recipes, plus a little FAQ, in case you need help choosing or using your air fryer.
I know, you don’t need yet another kitchen gadget taking up pantry and counter space. I hear you. I was like you. And then, one afternoon I threw caution to the wind, ordered my GoWISE air fryer, and haven’t looked back. I’ve posted a few air fryer recipes here, but if you follow me on Instagram, you probably have a better idea of the true depths of my air fryer obsession.
If you’re wondering how an air fryer works and what makes it special (besides sheer cooking speed), check out this ode to my air fryer that I wrote for Care2.
Air frying is, of course, healthier than oil frying, but it’s the convenience that really appeals to me. Air frying is less messy and faster than oil frying or baking. I tend to shy away from deep frying, because cleaning up fried oil is such a hassle.
One challenge for me as a freelancer is that I suck at making lunch. When you work at home, packing a lunch seems silly, so then every day at lunch time, you end up staring at the fridge, hoping that something quick and easy and at least slightly maybe healthy will appear.
My air fryer has made this SO much less of a challenge. Because of the way it cooks food, everything cooks up super fast. And it’s a hands-off gadget, except for one quick shake mid-cooking, which means I can throw my food into the fryer, turn it on, and get back to work until lunch is ready.
My go-to has been making air fried tofu and throwing it over salad greens with a mix of fresh and air-fried veggies. I’ve been eating like a queen at lunch lately. The vegan air fryer recipes below are either current faves or high up on my to-make list. Enjoy them!
12+ Vegan Air Fryer Recipes
1. Air Fryer Avocado Fries – Use this as an appetizer with dipping sauce, or stuff it into a tortilla with lettuce and salsa for quickie tacos.
2. Apple Chips – Don’t these looks light and crispy? I need them!
3. Crispy Tofu – This tofu recipe is the one I’ve made the most in my air fryer. It’s great over salads or served with your favorite starch and veggies.
4. Veggie Fries – Julie Hasson is a kitchen superstar, and these veggie fries she made are a revelation!
5. Bacon-Wrapped Breakfast Burritos – Kristina is killing me with these. She wrapped a tofu scramble in rice paper bacon, and promptly air fried it. Amazing!
6. Potato Chips – I love potato chips, and I’m so excited to make healthier ones in my air fryer! I think I want to try to do a salt and vinegar situation soon.
7. Ranch Kale Chips – You guys, I can’t stop making these! If ranch isn’t your thing, you can season with whatever you like. I ran out of dried dill, so lately I’ve been just doing nooch, oil, and salt. It’s delish!
8. Onion Bhaji – Veganopoulous provides air fryer instructions for making onion bhaji in the air fryer. Also, I’m pretty much in love with Titly, who created the original recipe video for these.
9. Fish Taco Crisp Wraps – Another awesome recipe from Kristina! These look so good with that sweet, sweet mango salsa for dipping. Being vegan is so hard.
10. Cheesy Dill Polenta – JL is working on an air fryer cookbook, so you know her recipes are on point. She cooked up these crispy polenta bites in her air fryer, and they look so good!
11. Crispy Cauliflower – Doesn’t recipe this look amazing? You could even toss these in buffalo sauce when it’s done for quickie buffalo cauliflower.
12. Churro Bites – OK, so this recipe from GoWISE isn’t vegan, but it is SO easy to veganize. Just use 1/2 cup plus a tablespoon of aquafaba instead of the 3 eggs, and use vegan margarine instead of butter. And roll in vegan sugar at the end. Boom! Pow!
Even More Air Fryer Goodness
Since publishing this, I’ve been experimenting even more with my air fryer. Here are some more vegan air fryer recipes to try!
13. Chonuts – Churros meet doughnut holes in this air fried dessert recipe.
14. Coffee Doughnut Holes – Dip these air fried, cake-style doughnut holes in Maple Coffee Cream. Such a decadent treat!
15. Sweet Potato Fries – I revamped my old recipe for sweet potato oven fries to include air fryer instructions. SO much faster!
16. Tofu Scramble – Make brunches lazy and delicious! This whole scramble comes together in the air fryer, and it’s glorious.
17. Buffalo Cauliflower – This 4-ingredient vegan air fryer recipe couldn’t be simpler. Seriously, I tried lots of more complicated methods before landing on this simple dip-dip-fry technique.
18. Crispy Brussels Sprouts – You can make these with or without the oil, though the version with oil is definitely crispier.
19. Air Fryer Ranch Chickpeas – Roasted chickpeas are so quick and easy in the air fryer. Even my picky, chickpea-loathing preschooler likes these.
20. Crunchy Panko Tofu – This is a new family favorite in our house. It’s so flavorful and crunchy!
21. Air Fryer BBQ Tofu Wings – These are seriously easy to make. They’re rich, sticky, and delicious dipped in Chili-Ginger Tahini Dressing.
22. Air Fryer Sushi – This sushi roll is stuffed with sesame kale salad, but you can use this method to air fry any sushi roll that you like.
23. Whole Baked Potato – Cadry shows you how to bake a whole potato (in half the time!) in your air fryer. She’s a genius, is what I’m saying.
24. Fried Pickles – Yeah, she did! Cadry also experimented with making fried pickles in the air fryer, and they are perfection!
FAQ: Shopping for an Air Fryer
A lot of folks have been asking me air fryer questions via email, Facebook, and Instagram since I first published this list, so I thought I’d include a little air fryer FAQ here for you!
What kind of air fryer do you have/recommend?
I have the GoWISE USA 4th Generation 3.7qt Air Fryer. If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option, this one gives you bang for your buck. If you have a bigger budget to work with, Philips has been getting a lot of good reports in the air fryer community.
What size should I get?
Like I mentioned above, we have the 3.7qt GoWISE. It has worked great for my family of three! If you have a larger family, I’d suggest considering the larger size.
Do I need to preheat?
Unless a recipe specifies preheating, skip it.
Do I really need to soak the potatoes for my fries? Soaking takes forever!
I have soaked my potatoes exactly one time, the first time I made air fried French fries. It’s supposed to help get rid of some of the starch, and technically you’re supposed to do the same thing for oven fries. I honestly don’t feel like it makes enough of a difference in the finished fry, considering the added time. If you want to soak, go for it! If not, don’t! To make fries in my air fryer here’s what I do:
- Slice 1-2 russet potatoes into fry shapes. Steak fry, regular fry, and home fry shapes all work with this method, though cooking times may vary (see note). You can use other types of potato to make your fries, but I feel like russets work best.
- Toss in a small bowl with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and any seasonings I want.
- Air fry for 20 minutes at 400F, shaking and checking progress after 10 minutes.
- Note about cooking time: The thinner you cut, the less cooking time you’ll need. If they seem like they’re starting to brown when you shake after 10 min, check again at the 15 min mark. They might get done faster!
Is it easy to clean?
Usually, yes! Make sure that you choose an air fryer with a basket that comes apart for easy cleaning. My GoWISE has a quick release button that pops the inner basket away from the outer basket, so you can easily wipe away anything that’s fallen through the holes and clean the bottom of the inner basket. If something is stuck on, just soak until it softens enough to wipe away with a sponge. DO NOT use an abrasive cleaner or abrasive sponge to clean your air fryer. Regular dish soap and a regular sponge are all you need.
Are you working on an air fryer cookbook?
I’m not, but there are two that I’m very excited about!:
- My friend, Kathy Hester, is working on an air fryer cookbook, and I’m going to have two recipes in it! I’ll update this with a link to where you can get her book as soon as it’s available to preorder.
- JL Fields is releasing her air fryer cookbook, The Vegan Air Fryer, in 2017, and it looks amazing. I’ve seen some sneak images from the book in a vegan air fryer group that I’m a part of, and I think it’s going to be very comprehensive. It has cocktails in it!