Looking for an easy meal that's rich and creamy without added oil? This delicious, basil-y vegan avocado pasta is IT!
I'm by no means an oil-free cook, so you know that if I'm sharing an oil-free recipe, it's a banger. This oil-free, vegan avocado pesto pasta is rich. creamy, and decadent.
This is a very easy blender sauce. You truly throw everything into the blender and puree until you have a nice, smooth pesto.
You can make this recipe nut-free, if you want! Just replace the cashews with pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds instead.
You'll see in the recipe below that nutritional yeast is optional. I love nooch in avocado pesto. It adds that hint of cheesiness that you'd normally get from Parmesan cheese. If you don't like or can't find nooch, though, this pesto is lovely without it, as well.
The only other thing I want to talk about before we start cooking is the water. Think of ¼ cup as a starting point. You may need to add another tablespoon or two of water, to get your desired consistency.
This depends on the size of your avocado, your blender, whether you use nutritional yeast, and what consistency you're going for with your finished avocado pasta.
Ingredients and substitutions
- pasta - Choose your favorite! For vegan avocado pasta, I prefer something long and flat, like fettuccine, but you can really use any pasta shape you like.
- Haas avocado - I love how creamy a Haas avocado makes this recipe! If you are using other avocados, that is totally fine. Haas avocados tend to be smaller than Florida avocados, so just taste and adjust the seasonings at the end if needed.
- fresh basil - Plenty of fresh basil gives this vegan avocado pesto pasta so much FLAVOR! Definitely use fresh, not dried.
- water - This helps the avocado break down in the blender. You may need to add more water, depending on lots of factors, like the size of your avocado and your blender.
- garlic - Remember that we are using raw garlic, which has a stronger flavor that can overpower the avocado sauce. Feel free to add more garlic, but I suggest starting with the two cloves and adding one at a time, blending between additions, so you don't overdo it.
- lemon juice - Adds brightness and acidity to the sauce.
- nutritional yeast - Give the sauce a mild cheesiness. You can use less or omit, if you like.
- salt and pepper - For seasoning to taste.
- toppings - Have fun with the toppings! I like to top with diced tomato, sliced black olives, and magical fairy dust. Go with your favorite pasta toppings!
How to make vegan avocado pasta
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
Meanwhile, put all of your avocado sauce ingredients into the blender, and puree until smooth. You can add water, a tablespoon at a time as needed, to get things moving. Adjust the salt and pepper, if necessary.
Serve topped with your toppings of choice.
- While the pasta cooks, you have plenty of time to make the vegan avocado sauce and prep your toppings.
Serving and storage directions
Avocado pesto is great over pasta, as I'm sure you know, but there are lots of other fun ways to use it!
Spoon it over a grain bowl, like my roasted broccoli and tofu bowl, for an easy meal. It's also a great dip for veggies.
Want to up your hummus game? Add a few spoonfuls of pesto to the mix next time for a flavor boost!
If you do have leftover avocado pesto, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for around five days.
Frequently asked questions
Let's talk quickly about oil free vs. fat free.
This recipe is free from added oils, but that doesn't mean it's free of fat. Avocados are a fatty fruit, and that's exactly what makes this pesto creamy!
The fat in avocados is heart healthy. Plus, you get fiber and other nutrients, because you're eating the whole fruit.
Most shelf-stable pasta is vegan, made with just semolina flour and water! Fresh pasta is sometimes made with eggs, so look out for that in ingredients. You can also find lots of gluten-free vegan pastas, just check the ingredients list for egg and dairy.
You sure can! It keeps for up to 5 days in the fridge.
This pasta reheats like a dream! Just warm it in the microwave.
More avocado goodness!
Vegan Avocado Pesto Pasta
- 6 to 8 ounces pasta of choice
For the avocado sauce
- 1 Haas avocado
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves - loosely packed
- ½ cup water - plus more, if needed, to reach your desired consistency
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons cashews - raw or roasted is fine, or you can use pine nuts
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast - optional
- salt and black pepper - to taste
- diced tomato, black olive, vegan Parmesan cheese, etc. - Choose your favorite pasta toppings!
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, put all of your avocado sauce ingredients into the blender, and puree until smooth. You can add water 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed, to get things moving. Adjust the salt and pepper, if necessary.
- Serve topped with your toppings of choice.
Tried this recipe? Have a question? Leave a reply!