Chickpea Salad Crostini
This appetizer starts with fresh toasted Italian bread slices. Top that off with spicy citrus marinated veggies and you have a warming finger food.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
- 1 baguette cut into 12 slices
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 8-ounce can corn drained and rinsed
- 1 4-ounce can black olives drained and sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons flaxseed meal
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh thyme for garnish
Lay out the bread slices on a baking sheet. Lightly brush each slice of bread with oil. (The new silicone brushes are great for this, and they wash really easily.) Put the baking sheet under the broiler. Don't do anything else. Just stand there and keep checking the bread and don't let it burn. It only takes a couple of minutes. After the toasts are lightly browned, remove the sheet from the oven. You can make these ahead of time and keep them in the refrigerator for later use, too.
In a large bowl, mix all of the remaining ingredients together, except the thyme.
Top each toast with the chickpea mixture just before serving. Garnish with fresh thyme.
This recipe is reprinted from The High-Protein Vegan Cookbook by Ginny McMeans, with permission from Countryman Press.
My personal notes:
- I like things pretty tangy, so I doubled the lime juice to 2 tablespoons.
- This recipe makes a lot of the chickpea salad, so you'll definitely have leftovers. It's great on its own, spooned over salad greens for a quick lunch, stuffed into pita pockets, or as taco filling!